Looking great during pregnancy, makes you feel good too, you can choose from a wide range of clothes without compromising your own style. The rule of thumb for expecting moms is wear whatever makes you feel good and comfortable. Beyond that, it’s best to wear a dress or separates such as a skirt or pants with a top (rather than a jumpsuit or overalls) to accommodate frequent trips to the bathroom And the fewer fasteners, the better.
What to wear?
Some of your clothes may start to feel tight as early as 10 or 12 weeks, but you probably won’t need to buy anything special until the fourth or fifth month. Men’s sweaters and shirts (borrow your partner ‘s) are often cut big and baggy and can work for casual wear night until the end. Choose breathable, wrinkle-resistant fabrics such as stretchy cotton knits in coordinating colors and patterns.
The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists and the National Academy of Sciences’ Institute of Medicine consider a healthy weight gain during pregnancy to be between 25 and 35 pounds.
You needn’t worry about the baby if your clothing is tight, he/she is totally protected from any pinching or squeezing. However, clothing that constricts at the waist will be uncomfortable.
- Traditional style flowing dresses are no longer the only option, stretchy fabrics, such as, lycra allow for comfortable figure hugging styles, if you want to show off your beautiful new shape.
- Slacks or leggings (cut for pregnancy with extra room in the front) worn with sweaters or T- shirts, are great for weekends.
- For work, look for well cut slacks and team them with a long blouse for shirt over the top (again your partner’s shirts may fit the bill and you can even add a tie occasionally just for fun). A maternity jacket, can be expensive but you may feel this is justified, if you wear it almost daily for three or ourth months.
- Layered clothing, is a godsend. If you get too hot as you may if you are pregnant, as during the summer blood flows away from the uterus (and your baby) to the skin in order to cool you down. Being able to add or shed a layer, will enable you to regulate your body temperature more easily.
- Buy clothing that can be worn, while you are breast feeding, in this way you will get a couple more months to wear, while you are getting back to your prenatal counters.
- Wear trousers fastened under your bump in the later months.
- The easiest solution to your dilemma problem is to start with a well-fitting black dress. Anything that fits closely to your body looks cleaner, neater, and more flattering. Add sheer black stockings and a pair of dressy (but comfortable) black heels, finish the look with a great necklace, pearls, or a pair of beautiful earrings.
- If you’re going to wear all black, add a dash of color and luxury with a pashmina, cashmere, or silk wrap, advises Lange.
- When you’re deciding between long and short hemlines, go short.
- Opt for slim-fitting pants with a boot cut bottom.
- Emphasize your eyes with a shimmery shadow and two coats of mascara, and give your lips a swipe of gloss.
- Take a few extra minutes to blow-dry your hair with a round brush and then smooth a few drops of silicone-based serum over your hair for shine.
Have your shoe size checked after the fifth or sixth month. As the ligaments in your feet soften, you may find that your feet are half a size bigger, making previously well fitting shoes tight.
- Some women find that their normal size and style of bra fits, until they are about six months pregnant, others need a larger size well before then. You rib cage may expand, making a larger size necessary and you will probably increase by two or three cup sizes in a first pregnancy (in subsequent pregnancies the breast may need less preparation for nursing). If your breast become very large you may be more comfortable wearing, a lightweight cotton bra when you sleep as well.
- It is worth being, measured for a bra that will give you support in the last few months (seventh) of pregnancy and beyond. It should have some form of front opening, for easy breast feeding. Choose a style, that will allows you to increase the size in the first few days after the birth when you may need extra room. Wide shoulders straps, are more comfortable and supportive than thin ones. Cottons or cotton blends, feel coolest and stand up to frequent washing (it’s not uncommon to leak colostrum before the birth, and milk afterward, and you will need to launder your bras frequently).
- Buy panties, that you can wear under your tummy bikini style or choose large stretchy style that you can pull right up over it.
- Anything you wear halfway up, may irritate the skin on your abdomen where it is stretched most thinly. Waist high panties, will have a tendency to roll down at the top causing uncomfortable and unattractive bulges. Cotton and cotton blends, are the best fabric options especially for women, who are prone to yeast fungus which is more likely to thrive under hot synthetic fibers.
- If you wear panty hose, you don’t need to buy the more expensive maternity tights when you get too big for maternity styles . Extra large regular hoe should fit if you wear them back to front so that the largest part is over your stomach.
- Support hose, can help ease aching legs especially if you need to be on your feet a lot. If you have varicose veins support hose are most effective, when you put them on before you get out of bed in the morning. Avoid elastic topped socks and stockings which might hinder blood circulation. Your doctor may prescribe, custom fit Antiembolism stockings, if varicose veins are very pronounced. You can shop online for compression stockings from Rejuva to help with varicose veins.
Your Personal Style
Every woman is different, and every pregnancy unique. You don’t need to, sacrifice your personal style simply because you are pregnant. In fact some women are so proud of their enlarged breasts and rounded stomachs that they want to show them off.
Find the elements of your style, that can be maintained through nine months of body changes (and beyond). Concentrate on color, the cut of necklines and sleeves, skirt lengths, slacks styles and accessories.
Clothes such as dungarees, stretchy skirts, and leggings that are simply one or two sizes bigger than normal, may fit until well into your pregnancy. A following skirt having the waistband with a drawstring, would be more suitable. A collection of scarves or jewelry can be augmented all through your pregnancy, especially as your choice of clothes become more limited.
The point is pregnancy, may make you feel unfamiliar with your own body but you needn’t feel frumpy.
- A wraparound skirt can expand as you do, the tops are interchangeable and can be worm with the slacks as well.
- Elasticized slacks are comfortable and can be dressed up with a jacket.
- A simple dress and jacket can be combined for a smart office look.
- The same dress set off with jewelry becomes an elegant formal evening dress. Wear earrings that make you feel sexy, chic, a little bit trendy, or even pristine. Every time you look in the mirror you will get a private little boost. Also, wear your “only-for-special-occasions” jewelry.
The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.