By Charlene Bazarian
Pancakes are a breakfast favorite, but with the word “cake” in the name, is it any wonder they aren’t typically considered as a nutritional powerhouse? Pancakes don’t have to be a splurge though, and they don’t have to be boring either! We compiled some fabulous and nutritious ideas that will let you have your cake and eat it too! These recipes put a healthy (and delicious!) spin on pancakes your tastebuds will flip for!
Recipe Courtesy of Marathons and Motivation @marathonsandmotivation
- 2 cups oat flour, gluten-free
- 2 cups soy milk
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
Apple Pie Topping:
- 2 apples diced
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 coconut oil or vegan butter substitute
- ½ tablespoon cinnamon
- 10 almonds chopped
- Mix soy milk, maple syrup, oil, and vanilla together and set aside.
- In a large bowl, add flour, cinnamon, ginger, and baking powder until well combined.
- Pour milk mixture in a large bowl. Mix with a wooden spoon until you get a smooth oat batter.
- Preheat a pancake machine or a non-stick pan greased with a bit of coconut oil or oil spray.
- Pour 1/4 cup of the batter to make 1 pancake. Cook until bubbles form and edges are starting to dry then flip and cook the other side. You will get 12 pancakes with the batter.
- Heat a non-stick pot on medium heat. Melt coconut oil, then add cinnamon, apples and chopped almonds. Stir and cook for about 2 minutes. If you want apples to be softer, cook longer.
- Serve warm pancakes with apple pie topping.
Calories: 475kcal | Carbohydrates: 72g | Protein: 13g | Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 8mg | Sodium: 99mg | Potassium: 599mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 25g | Vitamin A: 600IU | Vitamin C: 13mg | Calcium: 269 mg | Iron: 3mg
Recipe courtesy of Caroline Green, RDN, LD @carolinegreennutrition
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup vanilla almond milk
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil or vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 1 TBSP baking powder
- dash of salt
- 2 heaping TBSP matcha green tea powder
- The Coconut Cult coconut probiotic yogurt
- Pearlbutter Matcha Coconut Butter
- In a large bowl, mix or whisk together the eggs, milk, oil, sugar, and vanilla extract.
- Once mixed well, add in the flour, matcha powder, baking powder, and salt and continue to stir until a smooth batter forms.
- Spray a sauté pan with oil spray or coconut oil and heat to medium heat.
- Measure small amounts of pancake batter onto pan and flip once bubbles start to pop up through the batter.
- Repeat until all batter is used.
- Let pancakes cool, then top with desired toppings. Yum!
The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.