Freckles are a natural occurrence associated with your skin type, melanin levels, and sun exposure. Attempting to remove them, whether through chemical procedures or otherwise can damage your skin and remove its natural features.
Why do freckles appear?
The extra melanin is produced by skin cells to protect the skin from the sun. This is why freckles emerge after being exposed to the sun. During the summer, freckles can form across a big region of skin and resurface or darken.
Everyone’s skin is different, but hormonal pigmentation often manifests as blotchy, dark patches or freckle-like spots (macules) with an uneven border.
Dr. Anthony Puopolo, the Chief Medical Officer of the telemedicine company RexMD and a board-certified physician adds in his piece of advice “A far better option than getting rid of your freckles is to learn to love them. Freckles are a natural occurrence associated with your skin type, melanin levels, and sun exposure. Attempting to remove them, whether through chemical procedures or otherwise can damage your skin and remove its natural features.”
“If you are hell-bent on removing them, avoid sun exposure and use makeup on the face. However, it is best to learn to see the unique beauty in freckled skin, take good care of it, and avoid attempting to ‘treat’ them.”
The 4 non-surgical ways to get rid of freckles by Dr. Shauna Hatcher, MSPH, Nutritionist at, The National Wellness and Public Health Network (NWPH):
- Sunscreen. Sunscreen will not remove existing freckles, but it will help prevent new ones from appearing.
- Use fading and Retinoid cream for the skin.
- Peeling agent.
- Natural remedies like aloe vera.
Well according to Mellanie Ullrich, an aesthetician and business owner at Lashfridays an organic face scrub option to try if looking for a non-surgical option,
“These are all ingredients you can find at home, which is why it is a personal favorite of mine.” She adds
The ingredient list is as follows:
1 tsp of papaya juice (extract it yourself).
1 tablespoon yogurt
1 teaspoon of potato juice (extract it yourself).
2 tbsp. powdered red lentils
How Does it work?
- The papaya enzymes papain and chymopapain can help reduce irritation. Many exfoliating products include papain, a protein-dissolving enzyme. These acne-fighting treatments work by eliminating dead skin cells that constrict pores as well. Papaya is also a natural chemical exfoliator used in many organic skincare products.
- Lactic acid, found in yogurt, assists in the repair of our skin after exposure to harsh chemicals or sunburn. Yogurt can make your skin feel fresher while also removing pollutants from your face. When you try it, make sure to test the yogurt on your skin.
- Pulses, found throughout most households, are high in nutrients & offer skin-beneficial properties. Red lentils are the one-stop cure for all skin issues, whether it’s hard freckles, a tan, or even anti-aging and acne. Lentils have antioxidants that aid in lightening all sorts of pigmentation.
- Potatoes have an enzyme called catecholase that works to brighten and lighten pigmentation. All of these ingredients are mixed with olive oil, which acts as a hydrator amongst the stronger ingredients.
If you are hell-bent on removing them, avoid sun exposure and use makeup on the face. However, it is best to learn to see the unique beauty in freckled skin, take good care of it, and avoid attempting to ‘treat’ them.
The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.