Hayley Pummer is an Online Nutrition and Weight Loss Coach with the purpose to help women stop dieting, find balance, and live a healthy lifestyle. Starting off as a personal trainer, in 2019 she became a certified nutritionist to help clients on a deeper level.
Today she aims at changing their mindset to set themselves up for lasting success with the most up-to-date and evidence-based advice.
Hayley answers the FAQ about Dieting & weight loss.
- You are a believer in the fact that every food (most definitely cake and chocolate included) can fit into a healthy balanced lifestyle. Can you help women understand how this can be made possible?
Absolutely. I’m a firm believer that you can enjoy any foods you love as part of a healthy balanced lifestyle, and that this is the best approach for long-term success.
Often people try to cut out less nutritious foods because they believe that they’re ‘bad’ or stop them from losing weight. It’s important to remember that no foods are ‘good’ or ‘bad’ – some are just more nutritious, some are less so.
We definitely want to include mostly nutritious foods that support our bodies and make us feel at our best. When we do that, cake, chocolate, or anything else we love will not be detrimental to health (as long as you don’t have allergies or intolerances to them).
It also helps to know that it’s our overall calorie intake that determines our weight – and any foods can fit into that. When people restrict themselves from foods they love, they tend to end up rebounding and over-eating them at some point.
So I recommend, planning them in and practicing mindful eating – choosing the best of what you love, eating it slowly without distraction, and really savoring the taste of each bite. When you allow it without guilt, you enjoy it more and tend to feel satisfied with less – knowing you can have it again whenever you choose to.
- With more than a decade of experience in the fitness industry, first as a personal trainer, and now as an online nutrition and mindset coach. Please share key aspects that need to be instilled in us to stay fit & healthy?
Some of the key practical aspects are
- Building habits and doing things in a way that you enjoy, so that you create a lifestyle you’re happy to keep living.
- Making healthy choices easier to do makes a big difference. This could be planning your meals, buying yourself a nice water bottle, keeping healthier snacks visible (and less healthy ones in a box out of sight),
- Booking in exercise as time for yourself, and sticking to it because it supports your physical and mental health.
- It’s important to remember that you won’t feel motivated all the time, and that’s ok. Sometimes taking action has to come first. When you do that, you create your own motivation. Encouraging and supporting yourself (rather than criticizing yourself and beating yourself up) makes this easier, and will make being fit and healthy a whole lot more enjoyable.
- Consistency not perfection is one of the most crucial aspects of all. You don’t need to do everything all of the time. And you haven’t ‘ruined it’ if you have a bad day, week or month. You’re only ever one choice away from being back on track.
The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.