Who doesn’t get excited at the end of a busy work week knowing that the weekend is approaching?! I mean, it’s the WEEKEND people- those few special days of the week that are like gold and typically fly by way too fast! I think it’s safe to say we all love our weekends, but how can we truly optimize our weekend time before Monday hits again? Though sleeping in, lounging around, and binge-watching our fav shows is tempting, especially after an exhausting week, it may not be the best way to spend this priceless time. Here are some great options that should help….
Here are 6 weekend activities that will help you get HEALTHY and feel AMAZING:
- DANCE! – This can be done in many forms and you do not have to be a pro to enjoy the many benefits that dancing has to offer! Whether you hit the town with some friends and go out dancing or you stay in playing your favorite tunes while dancing around the house, this is sure to boost your mood! Not only is dancing excellent for your body, but it can boost your confidence and self-esteem. So put your dancing shoes on, and let’s see what you’ve got!
- Get a Healthy Dose of Vitamin D – Most people have been cooped up in an office setting all week, in front of computer screens, on our phones constantly, etc. While some of that is unavoidable in this day and age, opt to take a break from all of that when you can. While we check our texts/emails, spend time on the millions of apps on our phones, and indulge on social media, our precious time is literally ticking away – and we won’t get it back!!! Temporarily ditch the screens for some fun in the sun instead. Get outside and enjoy some quality time outdoors. Hit the beach, go on a hike, bike ride, take a swim, the possibilities are endless. Protect your skin with a quality sunscreen, but be sure to get a healthy dose of Vitamin D.
- “Power-Shop” – Did you know that you can exercise and shop at the same time? If you’d like to hit up your local mall and do some shopping over the weekend, wear some comfy shoes and power-walk the entire mall first before stopping to buy anything. If you’d like more, do this 3 or 4 times before stopping. Make mental notes of what catches your eye so you know exactly what you’d like to return to once your power-walk is complete.
- Stretch – De-stress your week with a healthy stretch session. While I encourage daily stretching, try for at least a few stretch sessions per week. Stretching is not only healthy for you, but can be FUN too! You can always choose to stretch solo, or make it a party by inviting a few of your girls over and enjoy a “Saturday Stretch Sesh.” Take turns sharing and leading various stretches and end with some light relaxation/meditation. Once your session is complete, you should feel refreshed and pumped to enjoy the rest of your weekend! Trust me, your mind and body will thank you.
- Cook In – Find a healthy recipe you have been dying to try, and cook in! Treat yourself to a yummy healthy meal. While many enjoy going out to dine, try to balance out your dining in vs. dining out. This can also be a great way to spend quality time with loved ones such as your spouse and/or your kids. My husband and I love creating meals at home together! When you cook at home, you are in charge and know exactly what ingredients are going into your dish and your body. You can control every element in your dish and your portion size. Healthy and delicious meals can be made in the convenience of your own home, and you can have fun in the process… give it a try!
- Think Outside the Box – Designate some time in your weekend to plan an outing or activity that you have never done before! This can be solo or with friends, but the whole idea is to explore new adventures. When we get used to a mundane routine, we get bogged down and forget to get out and try new things. Whether you go out paddle boarding, jet skiing, rock repelling, surfing, or read a new novel or try a new food, the sky is the limit! The more things you accomplish that you never did before will surely boost your confidence which will ultimately radiate into other aspects of your life.
Here are my Take-Aways:
*Spread #GoodVibes into your #WeekendVibes – Remember, your frame of mind will make or break your weekend fun.
*Life is Precious – Live in the present, and don’t wait to truly enjoy your life to its fullest.
*Keep A Consistent Clock – Avoid the urge to throw your sleep schedule out of whack over the weekend by regularly staying out late and sleeping in. Your internal clock will get thrown off and will make you feel groggy which will carry over into the rest of your week… NOT FUN!
Follow me on Instagram @taryntfrancis and tell me what your plans are for the weekend!!!
I hope this article has inspired you! Be sure to stay tuned for more monthly columns from me as I share my world of dance, fitness, wellness, and healthy lifestyle tips… and stay in touch with me on social media for all my latest happenings. Stay tuned for more about my new YouTube show!
Taryn T. Francis
IG and FB: @TarynTFrancis
The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.