While juggling our modern day busy schedules, just the thought of finding time to exercise can be daunting! The reality is that we must find the time for regular exercise in order to maintain a healthy well-being. The good news is that you don’t have to be a “gym rat” in order to achieve this! According to the Mayo Clinic, shooting for a general goal of 30 minutes of exercise per day can provide many health benefits. Regular exercise is excellent for your mental, physical, and heart health. When paired with a sensible and healthy diet, your 30 minutes of exercise per day can also help you lose weight or maintain a healthy weight.
Here are 10 ways you can get fit in just 30 minutes a day:
- Walk – It doesn’t matter where, just get out and walk! Whether you walk to work, walk your furbaby, head to the park, mall, airport, etc. you can easily find wonderful ways to benefit from 30 minutes of walking. If you aren’t able to find a full 30 minute window of time, split it up into smaller intervals of 2 x 15 min or 3 x 10 min. Make it fun by walking with a friend and have a catch up sesh while exercising. If you’re at work, find some time during break or lunch time to change into more comfy athletic shoes and walk through or around your building. If you’d like to kick it up a bit, try to go on a hike or pick up your walking pace.
- Stairs – If you can, choose to take the stairs rather than the elevator. If you have access to a building with stairs such as your work place or apartment building, carve out time in your day to use them for your exercise. Stairs are a great cardiovascular workout for your entire body with many benefits for your lower body. They are especially great for sculpting a nice tush!
- Play With Your Furbaby – My dog-babies are my world! If yours mean the world to you too, then understand that it is just as important to lounge and cuddle with them as it is to get out and actively play with them. This will not only benefit you, but your doggie as well since they need the exercise also. Play fetch, go on walks/hikes, and do other fun interactive physical games with your furry family member.
- Move While You Binge-Watch – We all have our favorite shows we enjoy watching at the end of a long day. Try to break up the amount of time you spend curled up on the couch with some exercise movement. Whether it’s walking/running in place, on a treadmill, or doing some light bicep curls, carve out your 30 minutes of exercise while you enjoy your fav shows. The couch will feel even better when you are done!
- Aqua Exercise – Aqua exercise is highly beneficial since the water is easy on your joints and can alleviate pain involved with exercise. Whether low or high impact, your body will love it.
- Move With Your Kids/Family – Plan activities where your family can benefit from both quality time and exercise. Sports and movement games are ideal to fit in some fun exercise into your day.
- Switch Up Your Commute – Try to find alternative ways of transportation to work or other destinations such as riding a bike or skating.
- Workout At Home – If the gym isn’t your thing, or you find it challenging to make time to hit the gym, exercise at home! Whether it’s to the beat of your own drum, or streaming an easy to follow workout, just go for it. There are many trainers and popular workouts out there to follow, so you should have an abundant amount of options and resources right at your fingertips.
- Make It An Exercise Date Night – Whether you have a date night planned with your significant other or your besties, switch up the typical stationery options and opt for anything active that will get you up and moving.
- Yoga/Meditation – In order to achieve healthy fitness goals, you should focus on your mind and body for overall wellness. Whether you choose to take a class or do your own yoga and meditation at home, carve out time in your week to become self-aware of your fitness journey.
Here are some take away tips for best results:
- Stay Consistent
- Switch Up Your Routine So You and Your Body Don’t Get Bored
- Love Yourself – Remember we are not perfect. Do not beat yourself up if you get off track, just re-group and re-focus, and be proud of yourself when you get back on track.
Be sure to consult with your doctor when incorporating any new workout or exercise regimen into your lifestyle.
I hope this article has inspired you! Be sure to stay tuned for more monthly columns from me as I share my world of dance, fitness, wellness, and healthy lifestyle tips… and stay in touch with me on social media for all my latest happenings!
Taryn T. Francis
IG and FB: @TarynTFrancis
The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.